Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Dial caliper (digital)

On 12/31/2015 5:40 PM, Don Y wrote:
Recommendations for a "quality" digital dial caliper?
Not looking for something gold-plated. But, also not looking
for something that WON'T be working 20+ years hence!

The lifetime of a precision device is critically dependent on how
you treat it.

I've had good service from a cheap Harbor Freight caliper.
Problem is that the battery is always dead. Reviews suggest
that's a problem with many of the "less than top tier" devices.
I have to take out the battery when I'm not using it. I have more
than one, so it's not a single defective unit.
I wouldn't call it a serious problem if I used it a lot.
I don't, so it's always dead.

I can buy a lot of batteries for the $100 difference in price.
I'm far more likely to drop it than it failing because of bad
design/workmanship.

My Mitutoyo has an extra half-digit of readout. And the battery
is always working.

I like to verify what I say, so I turned on the Mitutoyo.
Battery dead! But I've had it three years. No idea
how old the battery was. Good enough.