Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus24995 Ignoramus24995 is offline

Default Free Equipment Removal and Russian Santa

On 2015-12-31, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 19:17:50 -0600, Ignoramus24626

On 2015-12-31, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 17:49:39 -0600, Ignoramus24626
wrote:

On my website, I advertise "Free Equipment Removal" whereby I remove
obsolete equipment. Usually it is old heavy obsolete metalworking
machinery and infrastructure. Like lathes and pumps and piping and
such.

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ry-removal.mpl

This time, it was something else. A nice younger gentleman called me
and asked if I could remove some food equipment that he had to get rid
of today.

I said sure.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Equipment.jpg

DAMN, Ig. I've been meaning to ask you this for years now:

_When_ are you going to learn how to process graphics for the web?
Your images are all huge (5k x 3k pixels) and multi-megabyte. I pare
a graphic like that down to 1024 largest dim and dice it to maybe
100kb. Each is done in under ten seconds, and each loads in seconds.
Yours take nearly a minute on my 4mbs DSL to load. I realize that
some pictures will need to be large to show details for a sale, but
several smaller snippets from one would work better for you, I'm sure.
Consider Photoshop or another image processing prog.

I did consider this very deeply.

I'm sorry we disagree so strongly on this. In my other life as a web
designer, speed of a site was of utmost importance, and still is to me
and many others. You may be on 50mbs cable now, but not everyone is.

I very strongly believe in high resolution and quality of video and
images. 320 pixel videos make me cringe.

I agree. And have you seen the "videographers" out there with their
phones? Most are less stable than Parkinsons afflictees. I get sick
trying to watch the majority of YouTubers.

I feel that on most websites with pictures, the pictures are way too
small to be useful.

So process larger pics for your site. Simple. 500kb is much better
than 4mb per pic, and you lose no relevant detail.

They are economizing on bytes that cost next
to nothing, at the expense of clarity and ability to zoom in.

I no longer view all your pics (limiting to one or two) for a project
because those cheap bytes take so damned long to download on my
mediocre DSL connection. Crom help those on dialup, like Jim.

Way cool. Did you spend money on wages to help pick it up, or was it
solely your job? I'd consider that money well spent, either way.
What's the new Scotsman going to net you on eBay (or wherever)?
JES Restaurant Supply has 'em for $8,653.84 Bwahahahaha! Merry
Christmas!

I think that Scotsman sells for $3,200 brand new. I will probably get
1.5k for it.

http://tinyurl.com/hhkjd4b Isn't this your machine? Or is this a
larger cousin?

It is different. Yours is an ice maker. Mine is just a storage bin.
No refrigeration equipment.