Posted to alt.home.repair
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Default Insulate Walls or Floors?

"TomR" wrote in :

In ,
typed:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 17:25:02 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote: "On 12/29/2015 6:29 AM,
wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote: "On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:09:09 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

"No, you told him it is more important to insulate above. He
already has insulation there, nothing below so that is his greatest
heat loss."

But isn't the rate of heat transfer higher in an upward
direction than downward?

Not if there is no convection involved. Radiant heat transfer is
agnostic. It doesn't care which end is up.
Not that I want to be standing
on a floor in direct contact with a frost table, but, just
saying.

Heat transfer is faster where the delta T is higher. The larger the
difference in temperature, the faster the heat transfer.

I suspect that the greatest delta T is between the inside of the
crawlspace and the outside air through the uninsulated side walls of
the crawlspace; and not so much between the floor above and the floor
of the crawlspace below.

That is why I think that insulating the now-uninsulated side walls of
the crawlspace would be the best (and easiest, and least expensive)
first option. I think that is where the most significant heat loss is
located.

Yes, that's what makes the most common sense to me.