Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How much heat is lost in a steaming hot shower anyway?

On 12/31/2015 4:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 12/30/2015 5:06 PM, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:
The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen) take long showers, only leaving
the bathroom when the 50 gallon ho****er tank runs cold.

My propane ho****er heater is set to something like 135 degrees.
That means a lot of hot water is going down the drain.

Are any of the controls electronic? If so, set the temperature
to be lower at the time of day that they take their showers.
Make it less comfortable.

Or, expect them to be rational beings and not wasteful of
energy!

Rational? You're talking rational to a despot who keeps his house at 55
degrees??

We don't know *why* he keeps his house at 55 degrees! Perhaps
there are economic issues at play? When I was a kid, I'd catch hell
for opening the refrigerator and just standing there, "shopping":
"Close it until you've made up your mind".