Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 125v vs. 117v revisited

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message

I didn't see that post but it makes perfect sense. I'd also wonder if he
was using a breaker as a switch to feed his out building. If the breaker
isn't switch rated, one of the contacts could have burned. I've been able
to track down problems like that with one of my infrared thermometers and
my ultrasonic leak detector which allowed me to hear the sizzling contacts.
In the late 1980's I was working for an electrical contracting group that
had gotten into a new field of service for business and industry where we
used thermal imaging cameras to check all of their electrical panels. Bad
connections and defective breakers showed up very quickly. A problem I've
seen more than once is caused by using a circuit breaker as a switch when
it is't rated for that kind of service. Voltage drop across breaker
contacts would be one of the first things I'd check for when there's an
imbalance and no obvious indications of loose connections exist. Anyway,
It's been quite a while since I've done any field work. ?(.?.)?

[8~{} Uncle Lazy Monster

Where I worked we had a thermal imaging camera. About once or twice a year
all the electricl panels and breaker boxes were opened and looked at. If
any showed up 'hot' we would determin the cause. Often you could see which
wire out of the 3 on a 3 phase starter was hotter than the others . We
would get a pixture that looked similar to a blach and white phonograph with
the hotter items showing up as whiter.
Only problem was that camera was in the thousands of dollars when it was
bought.

Those IR thermometes can be had for less than $ 50 now. I got one at Harbor
Freight for about $ 25 a few weeks ago to play with.