Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth[_8_] FrozenNorth[_8_] is offline

Default primer for re-painting old plaster?

FrozenNorth pretended :
On 2015-12-29 6:48 PM, Eagle wrote:
Oren wrote on 12/29/2015 :
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 14:59:28 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

The question is about paint primers. Don't let facts interfere.

I don't believe in painting over primed plaster. After 30+ years as a
plasterer, I avoid priming plaster walls, both interior and exterior.
A bit of work and you avoid old paint lifting after priming.

Good for you. Primers do help and paint adheres and looked just
wonderful. I'd even prime a 90 year old pastier wall.
Would you save the plaster?

If it were savable, yes. You don't see original redwood lath and plaster
very often. If it's crumbly and falling off, no.
There are other types of plaster and I'm assuming it's hardwall plaster,
not thinwall plaster.

Try the crap in my house, renovations are a pain in the ass, it is a wire
mesh lath with the plaster over the top of that. Gloves and the right tools
are a key for the parts of it I have redone, otherwise expect blood.

I worked in California, so there are no basements to speak of, and most
of the interior plaster walls are 2'X4' 1/2" wall board with metal mesh
used in inside corners and fiberglass tape on joints. Gypsum plaster is
spread over that lath and when cured and dry, "puttycoat" is spread
over the gypsum resulting in a very hard wall.

I have very similar walls in my 1956-era house in the northeast US. The
"2'X4' 1/2" wall board" that you mention is gypsum board, laid
perpendicular to the studs (i.e. horizontal).

The insides of the walls look similar to this, although my gypsum boards
are 6" (8"?) wide, not 2'. I'm not sure about the length. It's been a while
since I tore any walls down, so the exact width and length of the gypsum
board has been forgotten, but I'm confident that it is not 2', not even
1' wide.

http://inspectapedia.com/interiors/P...Board31DFs.jpg

My walls measure about 3/4" thick. The metal mesh in the corners and
at the ceiling junctions make certain types of repairs and/or renovations
a real PITA. Patches in the open field need to be shimmed out to become
flush with the rest of the wall/ceiling.

My house was built in 1952, the wire lathe is not just in the corners,
it extends floor to ceiling, wall to wall, the plaster is not in sheets,
it is all built up in several layers and hand applied. Any reno, causes
massive amounts of dust, and curse words.

Ouch...I feel your pain.

I may not have been clear in my post. I have the paper covered gypsum boards
on the studs (~3/8") and then hand-layered plaster over that, to the tune
of another ~3/8". I actually like the slightly wavy surface of the plaster
walls and ceilings.

Mine is not all that wavy, while I hated tearing out parts of it for a
few jobs, new kitchen,bathroom and expanding the front hall closet, at
the same time it really made me admire the craftsmanship and skill that
must have been required to do it.

Any slob, including me can put up drywall, but this stuff took a lot of
skill to do. Even the lumber in my walls is actual rough cut 2x stock,
that actually measures 2 inches.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati