Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Insulate Walls or Floors?

On 12/29/2015 8:25 PM, wrote:

But isn't the rate of heat transfer higher in an upward
direction than downward? Not that I want to be standing
on a floor in direct contact with a frost table, but, just
saying.

Always to the coldest no matter the direction. The reason hot air rises
it that hot air is less dense than cooler air. Actually, cold air is
sinking and displacing the warm air.

I live in a relatively conventional house: wood frame,
concrete cellar, unoccupied attic. My insulation/sealing
challenges are relatively simple compared to slabs,
etc. One early February morning I ran out in just my PJs
and slippers to start up the wife's car for work. 12F.
Next morning, same thing, this time plus a winter hat
on my head. Felt a whole lot warmer and took my time
walking out to the car and back!

There is a lot of heat loss from your head. In recent years I don't go
out in winter without a hat as I don't have any other protection.
Modern technology allows me to push a button to start the car too. My
new car has a heated steering wheel Love it.

Indeed! Sorry Ed - but I get refuted at every corner
of this thing called Usenet.

Its not personal. Often I don't even look to see who I reply to if I
have valid information to add to the conversation.