Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chain saw gas

wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 21:27:53 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Holy Cow! I own some really good chainsaws - both are Stihls, and
neither will start on the first or second pull unless you've been
using them for a while. Cold - they're both good for at least 4
pulls before they cough, and then a couple more after you back the
choke off. In fact, in my 62 years, with at least 45 of those
holding on to a chainsaw, I've never owned or used a saw that would
start cold on one or two pulls. I put up 5 full chords of firewood
every year, and I'm no novice to chainsaw use, nor even a backyard
user. You've either got some good mojo going on up there, or I
think there's something you're not telling us.

OK - when I get the saw out I pull it through once or twice with the
choke on, and the ignition off so it won't tear my arm off - then turn
on the ignition and give it a couple good sharp pulls - Usually
running on the second pull with the ignition on.. Usually barks at me
on the first "powered on" pull. - knock the choke in one notch and
pull again. It either starts or tears the rope out of my hand. I don;t
know if the saw is stock or not - I've only owned it for about 25
years.

Ahhh-So... That makes more sense. Pulling it over those couple of times on
full choke is the same thing as if you had the ignition on. More like the
way my saws behave. Stone cold, my big saw usually takes 3 or 4 pulls on
full choke before it coughs, then starts on one or two more pulls with the
choke set back to half. The little saw generally starts with about the same
amount of pulls - maybe a pull less.

As an aside, the saw I had prior to buying my 361 was an 034AV (Stihl). I
owned it for twenty years or more and it was a great saw - never let me
down. But - all of its life it was a cold blooded saw - right from day one.
Seemed to pull it forever to get it started cold. Carb was adjusted
correctly, good spark plug, etc - but.. it got you warmed up for a day of
firewood just in the process of starting it. One day it would not start. I
knew that could be fixed, but I used it as my excuse to buy a new saw.
Bought my 361 and had the guys at the shop go through the 034, which my son
took posession of when they were done. If I remember correctly, they put a
carb on it - or maybe they rebuilt the carb, not sure. Once my son got it,
that thing started like it never had before - sometimes easier than my new
saw. Still running strong for him now, and he puts up about the same amount
of firewood as I do every year.

--

-Mike-