Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chain saw gas

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 21:27:53 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Doesn't need ether - it USUALLY starts on the first or second pull.
But if it decides to balk instead, it snaps back with fury!!!!. I
won't start it on a ladder or in a tree. Too dangerous if it "gets
angry"

Holy Cow! I own some really good chainsaws - both are Stihls, and neither
will start on the first or second pull unless you've been using them for a
while. Cold - they're both good for at least 4 pulls before they cough, and
then a couple more after you back the choke off. In fact, in my 62 years,
with at least 45 of those holding on to a chainsaw, I've never owned or used
a saw that would start cold on one or two pulls. I put up 5 full chords of
firewood every year, and I'm no novice to chainsaw use, nor even a backyard
user. You've either got some good mojo going on up there, or I think
there's something you're not telling us.

OK - when I get the saw out I pull it through once or twice with the
choke on, and the ignition off so it won't tear my arm off - then turn
on the ignition and give it a couple good sharp pulls - Usually
running on the second pull with the ignition on.. Usually barks at me
on the first "powered on" pull. - knock the choke in one notch and
pull again. It either starts or tears the rope out of my hand. I don;t
know if the saw is stock or not - I've only owned it for about 25
years.