Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Outdoor thermometer placement

On 12/28/2015 12:44 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/28/2015 12:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/28/2015 11:41 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/28/2015 11:54 AM, Don Y wrote: ....

OTOH, if you know that a particular fruit is hardy to 32F (or 28F),
then you don't want to play guessing games wondering if 32 is "elgar",
"foogle" or "gismatch"!

You also want to know the *actual* relationship between these so you
can perform reliable mathematical operations on them: "How much energy
do I have to expend to create a local "foogle" microclimate when the
outdoor temperature is "elgar"? Or, "dingbrill"? At which point will I
no longer be able to influence the microclimate based on these
calculations??

[Someone with the sort of interest I'm concerned about will be willing
to sort out *proper* placement of a sensor instead of just relying on
what's convenient]

Well, if you're really thinking you're going to get into it in that
depth, then there's a _ton_ of research already done and a large
fraction of it illustrates that simply knowing air temperature (no
matter how accurately) ain't _nearly_ enough to reliably predict
damage.

Correct. That's why I also note wind speed/direction, barometric
pressure, solar radiation along with azimuth/elevation, dew point, etc.
I'm not looking for a "toy" that just throws numbers at a casual
user/hobbyist but, rather, a genuine control system! : The extent of
control depending on how much the user is willing to "invest" in
instrumentation.

Much more expense will be involved in the mitigating devices than the
measurement, probably by orders of magnitude. What, specifically, do you
think you can physically control?

I use environmental monitoring to bias the HVAC control algorithms
(compensating for losses/gains from exterior events; intelligently
determining whether to use evaporative cooling vs. refrigeration;
*anticipating* required control actions to achieve desired results),
to determine irrigation needs (transpirational losses); as well
as deciding when/if any local controls can benefit the vegetation
(fruit being *my* concern but others might be more interested
in their orchid collections, etc.).

Wrt the fruit trees, I can control air flow through the individual
trees, some local heat sources and "misting" (coating the trees with
a fine layer of ice).

I can also know when "all is lost" and not attempt further action
("wood" will be damaged).

While done most specifically for CA, it has much general bearing --

biomet.ucdavis.edu/frostprotection/Principles%20of%20Frost%20Protection/PFPlong/PFPlong.pdf

As noted, all this will have been well developed in FL as well; you're
trying to reinvent the wheel it seems.

How many folks do you know who can do that IN THEIR BACK YARD?

Which paragraph discusses impact of solar radiation on heat gain in a
residence? Or, "comfort factor" compensation for air infiltration?

Where does it tell me the economic tradeoff of using evaporative cooling
on a particular day vs. refrigeration? Or, the penalty of using refrigeration
*after* evaporative cooling?

Where does it tell me about the (affordable) COTS control system that I
can PURCHASE to do these things?

I'd *really* not like to have to "reinvent the wheel" so would greatly
appreciate those pointers! :