Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best epoxy for adhesion?

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:23:39 -0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I'm repairing an crank handle for a nice old tripod. The handle is made
of some sort of black plastic, and the bit made to repair (reinforce
across the break) it is steel. The steel bit sits inside the u-shaped
channel of the plastic. I expect there is a bit of draft so the epoxy
I'm planing on using to embed the steel bit has to stick good to that
plastic.

Recommendations?

There is available now at many hardware stores a two part adhesive
made for plastics. I bought some to make a temporary repair to the
plastic radiator in a Toyata Camry. The top was cracked so I used the
two part stuff with cloth reinforcement to seal the two inch long
crack until the new radiator arrived. The repair held for over a week.
I don't know how long it would have held because the new radiator
arrived and I installed it. I don't know how well it would stick to
steel though.
Eric