Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best epoxy for adhesion?

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:23:39 -0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I'm repairing an crank handle for a nice old tripod. The handle is made
of some sort of black plastic, and the bit made to repair (reinforce
across the break) it is steel. The steel bit sits inside the u-shaped
channel of the plastic. I expect there is a bit of draft so the epoxy
I'm planing on using to embed the steel bit has to stick good to that
plastic.

Recommendations?

That's a high-energy repair, with rotational as well as axial loads.

I'd probably drill, tap, and screw the piece together with 4 small
screws, perhaps with some 3m 5200 adhesive (or ShoeGoo) to initially
stick it together.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.