Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos,alt.autos.ford

Default Flushing Out a Heater Core

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 14:19:35 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
PS - Forgot to say - the Hot-Cold lever is opening and closing air to
the floor, vent or windshield properly.

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney"
wrote in message
Back to the 97 Aerostar again.... It appears that the heater core is
nearly plugged. Some heat gets through, but not much.

Heater valve & vacuum work fine. A friend said to pull the valve off
and connect a garden hose to the outlet and hit it with some short
blasts of from the garden hose. Then connect to the inlet and repeat
until it flows free and clean.

But, and this is a big butt, I have done these kind of things before
and been sorry later. So I thought I'd ask the online brain center
for some (good) advice first. The last thing I want to do is open a
leak in the core and hose down the front seat.

Just because there is restricted flow does not mean it's in the core -
though it may be . So start off with the hose just cracked on a little , and
don't use any clamps so it can blow off at low pressure . I'm having a
similar blockage problem with our '99 4Runner , but it's apparently caused
by deposits in the water jackets/cooling system that have flaked off . I
used some CLR to flush the cooling system after a thorough rinse to remove
the A/F , which has helped but not cured the problem . Yours could also be
caused by a hose with a degraded lining , a flap blocking the hose - that is
often accompanied by a bulged hose .

Kinda hard to do with the quick-connect hose system Ford uses on the
heater cores - - - - No clamps.