Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Radio controlled clock an hour fast

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:30:36 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:55:21 -0000, Phil L wrote:

1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all

year.

The 1966 thing is what we need.

No we fing don't. That trial was awful from the POV of a six year
old, walking to school in the dark

Awww you poor thing, were there monsters behind the trees?

As a kid, I preferred light AFTER school, when I went out to play. Who gives a **** what it is when you're just going somewhere you don't want to be anyway?

wearing the issued Hi-viz waist coat.

Then don't wear it. You must be younger than me, because people hadn't gone crazy on those outlandish things when I were a lad.

The only thing I was "forced" to do was to get off the school bus at the correct stop (the stupid driver was concerned for my safety or something - I was only trying to go to a friend's house). From that day on I cycled to school and he didn't get his 10p fare.

Summer doesn't matter what time it is, there's loads of light.
Winter has not enough light, particularly in the evening.

If people want to have a BBQ on the patio in late December (and it
has been warm enough for that this year) fit the working hours to the
available daylight. The wage slave 9-5 is an hour offset from (GMT)
daylight, 8-4 would be a better fit and for those that want a BBQ do
7-3.

Changing the working hours is more of a pfaff than simply changing the time.

So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.

The clocks aren't backwards in winter, they are closer to siderial
time, ie noon is when the sun is highest in the sky.

Why does noon have to be then? In fact it shouldn't be. The highest sun should be in the middle of the period of time the average person is awake. IME, most people get up at 7 or 8 for work, or 9 or 10 on days off, then go to bed at 11 or 12. So midday should be 4pm.

Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter then we
don't have to bother changing the clocks.

Apart from the spurious "light evenings" argument trading with europe

A light evening's argument trading? Is this a Monty Python sketch? :-)

is put forward as a reason for sticking with GMT+1 all year. Except
of course most of the EU moves to GMT+2 in the summer so that blows
that argument out of the water.

Make all of Europe the same, then we'd have the lighter evening too.

--
The skeleton found in the car park has been confirmed to be that of Richard III, but one question remains unanswered:
Who did I pay £20,000 on Ebay for?