Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Heath John Heath is offline

Default how would you use an oscilloscope to measure a sine wave?

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 9:58:08 PM UTC-5, Tim R wrote:
On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 6:16:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Hmm, OK trumpets and whatever need to be tuned, but what about a trombone ?

Like most brass instruments a trombone comes with a main tuning slide. It is a U shaped piece of tubing right on the top (behind your head when you're playing). You set that for the group you're playing with.

But you also make fine adjustments with the slide that moves. Trombone is "fretless" just like a violin. The slide has an approximately correct position but it always has to be slightly fine tuned for every note, because there are many notes in each position but all have tendencies to be sharp or flat, and notes sometimes have to be adjusted sharp or flat because of the musical context.

I've been playing in various groups for most of the past 50 years, and I've observed a recent tendency to standardize pitch much more. In the 60s a Stroboconn tuning machine cost $2600, which was more than a car back then. Now everybody has a $20 electronic tuner that is just as accurate. While not everybody uses them correctly, the overall effect is that groups have a central pitch much closer to 440 than in the old days.

One more step off subject. Apologies in advance. I remember being in a band in my 20s. Those were great years playing local bars. Unfortunately I did not have the magic so I stayed with electronics. What is that magic? I have played with some greats and it always surprises myself how they can hear a song one time and just run with it while I have to work for it. Ask Sammy Davis Jr what key to play in and he will say whiskey. What is that magic?