Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Back up sump pump drain to laundry sink

wrote:
I have two electric pumps, with two separate level sensing switches, so one pump normally runs, and one is a backup to turn on in case the water level rises about 3 inches higher than the first pump setting. I also have a water operated pump that is set to turn on about 3 inches above the second electric pump, in case both electric pumps fail or a failure of the mains AC. So far I have never needed the water operated pump, but there is peace of mind knowing that it is there in case of a prolonged power failure. I do test the pumps about once a year by disconnecting the AC power until the water pump operates, and then once is is going, I turn on the power and check that both electric pumps do work.

A question, sump pump users, do you have back up power?
My daughter and SIL installed sump pump with battery and gen set back up
power. Few years ago flood hit their neighborhood. When power went out
whole house got flooded causing more than 100G damage. Luckily insurance
covered every thing per market value. As a result they have new pump
system with back up power.