Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default box joint testing

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 19:31:37 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

OFWW wrote in news:e05o7bp30m2prle5dom3tr1onlcfn3oj5e@
4ax.com:

One of the questions nagging me is, the amount of pressure used on a
glued joint. Is it really possible to squeeze out too much glue and
render the project worthless a few years down the road?

Depends on the glue. For epoxy, definately so. For common
yellow woodworking glue, no, at least not with any kind of
hand-tightened clamp. For other kinds of glues, I dunno.

It is, of course, very possible to not put enough glue in
the joint in the first place, which would have the symptom
you describe.

John

I had heard in an online video once about over clamping problems, that
they were going to do some tests of get info, but it never came about
to my knowledge.

I had a couple half lap joints come apart which added to my wondering,
but in the end I realized it was sloppy work on my part. Too loose a
joint. I learned the hard way that if I cut a joint best to assemble
in right then. Or store up some wood ahead of time.

I made a could half lap joints on 2 X 4's to put my metal Craftsman
Cabinets on, checked out the fit and it was just a tad tighter than I
figured it should be, just to get glue in there. Next morning I dbl
Checked the fit and both were now a tad loose and when I added glue
they really got sloppy. When the joints dried I could see a couple
gaps. GRRRR. And the joint seemed like it was the easiest to do in the
world.

I am great with sheet metal stuff, but wood working is far different.
I would apprentice myself in a shop, for free, just to learn good
habits and make some of this stuff natural to me. (and for now at
least, I don't even mind sanding. )