Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default box joint testing

On 12/24/2015 11:19 AM, OFWW wrote:

Good thinking but extend it a bit further to trays rather than drawers. Bt
"tray" I mean a 3/4" bottom rimmed all around with verticals that project
only an inch or two above the bottom. They are good for dishes too.

Thanks a bunch! The bottom info I really needed, at that size then
should the frame be 1/2" Minimum? OR?

Yes, I meant trays for the most part. Where the pans or bowls are
light weight I was thinking higher sides, like 4" up from the bottom,
or 4 " overall, to help keep them in.

I've done this a number of times. I prefer 1/2" sides, but you need a
planer for that, or a specialty lumber source that sells 1/2" stock. 2
1/2" wide because you can get 2 pieces out of a 1x6".

Popular or maple is good for the sides, I like popular. The bottom I
use 1/4" plywood let into a dado all around, or with the back left short
so the bottom can be removed if needed. I've yet to see that needed
though. You can go higher than 2 1/2" if you want, but try go for
multiples that will fit your lumber efficiently. The sides don't need
to be deep, just enough to keep stuff from sliding off. Also, I always
rounded over the top edge of the tray/drawer, makes it look a lot nicer.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com