Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ANSWERING MACHINE RINGS

On 12/23/2015 03:03 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

When we sort through our messages, we sometimes encounter "dumb"
robodialers that just recite their "payload" without regard to
whether or not there is anything listening. The local public
library is like this. And, must know how stupid their approach
is as the repeat the message several times -- in English
and Spanish -- in the hope that ONE of them is caught by
whatever is "listening"

And, when you use an answering machine, they're too stupid to WAIT FOR
THE BEEP. Some or all (depending on length) of the message isn't recorded.

BTW, I once tried one of those "challenge / response" systems, where the
caller gets a "please press 1" message. Using it made the "dumb
robodialer" problem worse (considering that the ring-ring-message-beep
sequence becomes ring-ring-messsage-ring-ring-message-beep).

[snip]

--
1 day until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00 AM
for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Heaven might be defined as a place men avoid." -- Henry David Thoreau
(1817-1862), Excursions, 1863