Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default box joint testing

dpb wrote in :

On 12/24/2015 9:52 AM, John McCoy wrote:
wrote in :

It's a case of comparing things that for the most part, shouldn't be
compared in the overall rankings; only the minor differences between
the similarly-sized and purposed joints should actually be compared
against each other within a set of classes, perhaps.

Well, the counterpart to what you just said is that you should
consider the size of the joint when picking your joinery method.
If a joinery method is constrained by the size of pre-fab units,
it might not be suitable.

I said _nothing_ whatever about actual application to any specific
project;

I never said you did, where do you get that from?

only discussing the limitation in attempting to drawing any
generic conclusions from the test results as performed/presented.

Well, the conclusion we can draw (at least, that I draw;
you are of course free to not draw any conclusion from the
information available) is that different size joints may
require or benefit from different types of joinery.

See
the more detailed follow-on to 'Jack' I posted this AM.

I did see that, and don't disagree with anything you said.

John