Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default 12V Battery charging problem - MASSIVE SPARKS

On 12/23/2015 8:26 PM, mike wrote:
On 12/23/2015 6:05 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/23/2015 7:27 PM, wrote:

I worked as an electrician for years, and I have done a lot of tinkering
with electronics, and this has been a real learning experience. In all
my years, I never knew a battery could reverse polarity!!!

Yep

38 years in the business and I never saw anything like that.

Way back a million years ago I put the battery in my 53 Chevy backwards
but the generator just repolarized.

The ammeter read backwards and the gas gauge pegged negatively
but nothing was harmed

What a bunch of youngsters. ;-)
Back in 1963, my dad had a TV repair shop.
He did some work for a car repair shop.
One day he fixed the blown output transistor on a car radio.
This was when car radios still had tubes, but they had switched
to one transistor in the audio output.
Car guy bought it back...It's broke.
Fixed it again.
Car guy brought it back...IT'S BROKE!!!
Fixed it again.
This time Dad and I went over to the shop and
measured the battery. Was charged backwards.

Very interesting

BTW: My '53 Chevy (3100 truck) had a radio that must have been put in
later. It ran off a vibrator and reversed battery polarity did not matter