Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default box joint testing

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:18:15 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

Like finding out that nails, and I presume steel screws all oxidize in
the wood, causing the wood to rot next to the nails, and I presume to
some extent steel screws. So when I buy screws I look for brass and
brass plated screws. On temp stuff, I'll use anything.

This is, predictably, a major concern to boatbuilders. For
that application the norm is to use stainless steel screws,
or, if you can afford it, silicon bronze.

Brass has it's own oxidation problems, and is quite weak, so
usually not used in marine applications.

Jamestown Distributors is a good source for (relatively)
cheap stainless and bronze fastners.

John

I live about a mile or so from the beach in two directions, so outside
stuff gets abuse. Thanks for the source, added it to My One Notes.