Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default box joint testing

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 13:29:52 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/22/2015 6:57 PM, OFWW wrote:

As to Dado's in the FF, is it only on the stiles/vertical's or on
both? Glue only, or Glue and ?

I know it will be a lot of work, but... I want my cabinets looking
nice, even though we sort of hope to sell out down the road and move
somewhere more sensible.

I've only done them on the styles, not the rails. My experience is
pretty much not needed, that was my point back there somewhere. Doing
this is pretty easy on the styles and it makes it easy to line up the
face frame, as long as you measure right, but it is a lot more effort to
measure and do the cutting, so not worth it. Would be more difficult
doing it on the rails as well but again, my experience says it's not
needed, and it will definitely not add to the looks of the cabinet, as
the next person to see it will be the demolition dude on the next
remodel...

Oh, as far as glue, I don't glue on FF as nails alone hold just fine,
and gluing on edge grain does nothing whatsoever. If you do the dado
thing, a tight fit would be needed for the glue to work on the tiny bit
of face grain, and again, my experience on a bunch of cabinets over the
years is glue nor dado's are needed at all, so why waste the effort.
I'm sure there may be exceptions to this, but this is my experience.

I also don't like pocket holes because you can see them inside the
cabinet. You could fill them with plugs, but that's just extra work. On
utility cabinets, for the shop or laundry, pocket holes are fine.
Actually, on my shop cabinets I did pocket holes and I haven't seen them
since I made the cabinets, but I know the holes are the-)

Well Jack, the certainly is useful info, seems there is a lot of
latitude providing one does their job correctly.

In a way I am glad I came down with something a few weeks ago that
sapped my energy, and messed up my breathing when the temps changed.

It put off my starting on the real cabinets and with all this info I
am going to re evaluate my choices. I have the time to use dado's, so
that isn't a problem. Plus I am going to use drawers instead of
shelves for the pots and pans, plus the larger appliances. My Wife is
small so her arms aren't too long, and I hate getting on my knees to
get a pan she sticks in the back of the cabinet. (I like to cook too)

Thanks for your insight..