Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default box joint testing

On 12/23/15 2:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/23/2015 11:28 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/23/15 8:36 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2015 1:48 PM, John McCoy wrote:
dpb wrote in :

On 12/21/2015 9:33 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Other than cost, is there a reason CA glue is unsuitable? I'd used
it on wood (not as a joint glue) and it does bond pretty well.
Depending on the CA glue, you could get 30-60 seconds of open time.
(Some of the thick stuff really needs accelerator or clamping.)

Historical "Crazy Glue" products are pretty brittle so don't do very
well in shear.

That's what I was thinking of - don't woodturners commonly
use CA glue to attach scraps of wood so they can hold their
work on the lathe, expecting to just rap the scrap with a
hammer to remove it when done? Because the CA glue is
brittle and just breaks off when the scrap is hit.

John

More for pen assembly and also used as a finish on lathe projects like
pens.

I use it for trim corners, crown, etc.
I also use hot glue but CA is a bit cleaner and sandable.

Absolutely as do I. I was commenting more with the use with a lathe.

And I was just commenting. You know me. ;-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--