Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default box joint testing

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 20:24:28 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
m:

On 12/23/2015 12:09 PM, Jack wrote:

For example, a floating M&T is
way, way stonger than a Domino?

I thought a domino WAS a floating
M&T???

My thoughts exactly Jack, a Domino is a floating M&T.

In fact a Domino or floating tenon may ever be better than a plain
M&T.
Often the end of a board that you are going to form into a tenon
might
not be suitable if it has a knot or strange grain.

Well, as I recall the article (and as I posted above), the
two joints broke in different ways. The M&T, all varieties
including floating, sheared the tenon. The domino (and
dowelmax, etc) all broke the mortised board.

The "floating tenon" was smaller than the Domino, so the tenon on one
broke, while the tenon split out of the board on the other?

I have no idea why that difference would exist, and I don't
recall that the article went into any analysis of it.

It does seem to me strange that the mortised board should
break at a much lower strain with the domino than with a
floating tenon (where the mortised board didn't break at
all).

John