Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default box joint testing

On 12/23/2015 2:16 PM, Larry wrote:

The 2 I have a problem with are the miter and butt. Both would
be at the very bottom if I were guessing.

Well, the butt is excepting for the two which again have no comparison
owing to geometry as noted earlier.

As for the miter, the 45 angle increases glue area by the sqrt(2) factor
so it's got almost 50% more for the same width pieces. Secondly, by
cutting on the diagonal, the end grain isn't _totally_ end grain so
there is a contribution of the side long grain that improves glue
performance significantly as compared to the true-90 butt.