Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tonight is the Winter Solstice

On 12/22/2015 03:48 PM, wrote:

[snip]

What came first, the Christian holiday, or the Winter solstice
celebration? Or maybe they are one in the same...... (except the days
are off a little bit).

Various ancient groups had holidays around the time (it is after the
solstice, perhaps they now had proof the days were getting longer
again). Then the Christians took over, and even (incompletely) altered
their story (Jesus) to fit.

I think we mostly just celebrate because it's so
damn dark this time of year, that we needed an excuse to celebrate. All
those colorful christmas lights take away some of the darkness....

Yes, that makes sense. Although there is still a lot more winter coming.

Even those who are not into the religious part, still usually get
involved in some way.

I never really understood the religious part, but there's still a lot of
good things around this time of year.

I always say, that in summer, nature paints our beauty, but in winter,
when everything is drab and gloomy, WE create the beauty with colored
lights, gift wrapping, colorful ribbons, and lots of good stuff to eat
and drink....

Yes.

Spring (ending well before June) it like that here. The first half of
summer was WET and hot. The second half was dry and hot.

This holiday has become far too commercialized, but it's what we make
it. We dont need to follow the commercial aspects of it, and we can
still enjoy it.

I'm thinking about that on "black friday" when I stay home and decorate,
instead of going out and buying stuff.

Also, I remember hearing that that day is not the most commercial day,
but tomorrow (Christmas Eve) is.

Santa Claus and flying reindeer may seem silly, but I'd
feel really lost without this seasons silliness.

I consider silliness an essential part of life. Of course, there are
problems with Santa. I hear most kids start out afraid of Santa (maybe
it's the constant surveillance).

BTW, I was surprised that I spelled that last word right.

What matters most is
that this holiday brings people together in a friendly and peaceful
manner.

That's why my best memories are or Christmas.

It's too bad we cant do that more times of the year!!!

Yes.

--
2 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"An idea is an eye given by God for the seeing of God. Some of these
eyes we cannot bear to look out of, we blind them as quickly as
possible." [Russell Hoban, "Pilgermann"]