Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default ANSWERING MACHINE RINGS

On 12/23/2015 1:27 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/22/2015 02:10 PM, Don Y wrote:

Yes. But for most folks, CID means you have to interact with the
phone when it is ringing -- to see *who* is calling ("Do I want to
answer this?") As I don't want to have to acknowledge the
"interruption" (that the ringing phone represents), my only solution
is to silence the ringer and defer interaction until some time when it
is more convenient for me.

IIRC, I've never seen a CID device that doesn't store the info.

There's also an issue of buffer depth...

One of our friends has a telco service that refuses to accept
inbound calls from folks who've "blocked" CID's (i.e., us).
"Press 1 to unblock your id for and be connected to the caller".

So, I've been dutifully pressing 1 to get through to him.

Recently, he mentioned (in passing) that we appear as
"Tucson caller" when I do this. So, he's never had any
indication as to *who* we are! He's just as likely to
let our call go through to his voice mail (which is
almost always "full")

I've now reprogrammed his number in the autodialer to
preface it with *82 so our real names are conveyed through
to him. He was surprised the first time he saw it in
his CID display (which is apparently a voice display
that often mangles the pronunciation of names!)

This is where email excels -- I can overnight -- rearrange who has
access to me via email. Not so with the phone (I can't change my
phone number without involving TPC!)

Yes. Of course, I'm now dealing with someone who takes months to read email.

shrug You have to hope they have an incentive for reading YOUR
email. It took a while for me to "train" clients to avoid using
the phone and, instead, use email. I simply took a week to
return voice mail (often "after hours"/weekends so they had to call
me *back* the next day -- getting routed to my voice mail, again)
and PROMPTLY (less than 24 hours) to return email.

Wasn't long before folks "learned" that the best way to get an answer
was to put it in writing! Which saved me the hassle of transcribing
telephone calls so I had a record of what was said, agreed to, etc.
in a "searchable" form! Goes a long way to keeping folks honest
when you can send a copy of THEIR email back to them at a later date:
"I thought THIS is what we agreed to? Do you have something more
current that I've misplaced??" (knowing, of course, that there
IS nothing more current!)