Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ANSWERING MACHINE RINGS

[snip]

It's relatively easy to detect "no message" as most folks drop the
connection
before the OGM has completed.

Most drop the connection. That's been true until recently. I've been
getting a lot (I think those CID shows as "TOLL FREE CALL") where
there's just a grunt or vague mumble.

The problem with this solution was that it was too much of a "toy";
having to set aside an entire PC (tower, keyboard, display) -- big,
power hungry, noisey (fan), etc. -- for the functionality of an
"answering machine".

It doesn't take an "entire PC" if the software runs in the background,
or in a virtual machine. It could be the same PC you're using anyway.

[snip]

--
2 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"An idea is an eye given by God for the seeing of God. Some of these
eyes we cannot bear to look out of, we blind them as quickly as
possible." [Russell Hoban, "Pilgermann"]