Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default box joint testing

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 12/23/2015 12:09 PM, Jack wrote:

For example, a floating M&T is
way, way stonger than a Domino?

I thought a domino WAS a floating
M&T???

My thoughts exactly Jack, a Domino is a floating M&T.

In fact a Domino or floating tenon may ever be better than a plain
M&T.
Often the end of a board that you are going to form into a tenon
might
not be suitable if it has a knot or strange grain.

Well, as I recall the article (and as I posted above), the
two joints broke in different ways. The M&T, all varieties
including floating, sheared the tenon. The domino (and
dowelmax, etc) all broke the mortised board.

I have no idea why that difference would exist, and I don't
recall that the article went into any analysis of it.

It does seem to me strange that the mortised board should
break at a much lower strain with the domino than with a
floating tenon (where the mortised board didn't break at
all).

John