Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics
dvus dvus is offline

Default Does a capital ship sinking actually SUCK a swimmer down todrown?

On 12/23/2015 3:08 AM, Micky wrote:
On 22 Dec 2015 "Bob F" wrote:
M. Stradbury wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:51:29 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Like toilet bowl water swirls.

A toilet bowl is too small to show the Coriolis effect, but a pool
isn't according to Sandlin and Muller.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/04/water.../#vRjaqfm0bSqs
"Derek Muller and Destin Sandlin, the minds behind the Veritasium and
Smarter Every Day YouTube channels, respectively, do show that water
(and even hurricanes or cycloness) preferentially spins
counter-clockwise in the north and clockwise in the south, you just
might not be able to see it with your toilet water."

I just flushed both my toilets. One went clockwise. The other went
counterclockwise. QED.

Not surprising. Normally, quality home builders will put in a CW
toilet and a CCW toilet because if they were both the same direction
and both got flushed at once, it can damage the connection where the
house sits on the foundation. If you buy a home already built, you
should make sure your toilets are opposite each other, or you should
be careful not to flush both at once.

I have never heard anything like that in all my years (50 of them) of
construction, nor have I heard it from the plumbers to whom I have
talked. If flushing a toilet can damage "connections" we better start
building things a lot better.

--
dvus