Posted to alt.home.repair

Default W10 activation issue

Tony Hwang wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:28:14 -0500, FrozenNorth
wrote:

I am not even sure you can upgrade directly from Vista to Win 10
for free, or at all, I did see with a quick google that you can
download a Win 10 ISO file, burn to DVD and do a fresh install,
but you would lose everything.

My wife has some "sewing" software that may not be compatible. (her
Vista machine) Everything else would work if I'm correct. I could
check if it runs in "some" compatibility mode before I make the
jump. Or leave it alone for now. All she does is turn the machine on
and
expects everything to work

Sounds like my wife . "Honey , the flubbernixer won't work , fix
it." She's using an older Tosh laptop , and it has overheating
issues ... probably because she sits it in her lap blocking the fan
intake . All XP , all the time .

Maybe you have to open it up, blow all the dust out, reapply HS paste
for the cpu. Old Toshiba is built very well.

Apparently this era of Tosh laptops had overheat issues - this is one of
the early dual cores , an A215-S7437. I blow it out regularly to keep the
dust off the fins of the heat exchanger , but it still does spurious reboots
.. I've told her numerous times that she MUST leave the area of the fan open
but it seems to fall on deaf ears .
Oh , and I had it open just a couple of weeks ago doing a fan replacement
.. The fan wasn't dead yet but it had made noise a couple of times so it was
just a matter of time .
--
Snag