Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tonight is the Winter Solstice

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 15:48:41 -0600, wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 16:25:48 -0500,
wrote:

Gee Mark, you have been talking about the solstice celebration for the
15 years I have been reading your stuff. Why is the celebration today?

What came first, the Christian holiday, or the Winter solstice
celebration? Or maybe they are one in the same...... (except the days
are off a little bit). I think we mostly just celebrate because it's so
damn dark this time of year, that we needed an excuse to celebrate. All
those colorful christmas lights take away some of the darkness....
Even those who are not into the religious part, still usually get
involved in some way.

I always say, that in summer, nature paints our beauty, but in winter,
when everything is drab and gloomy, WE create the beauty with colored
lights, gift wrapping, colorful ribbons, and lots of good stuff to eat
and drink....

This holiday has become far too commercialized, but it's what we make
it. We dont need to follow the commercial aspects of it, and we can
still enjoy it. Santa Claus and flying reindeer may seem silly, but I'd
feel really lost without this seasons silliness. What matters most is
that this holiday brings people together in a friendly and peaceful
manner. It's too bad we cant do that more times of the year!!!

Since an historical analysis of the Christmas story would put it in
the spring or summer and the actual year of the birth is far from
certain, you can't put much on 12/25/0000. (or is it 0001)
We can start that 15 year old argument up again too I guess.

What we think of as Christmas is an invention of europeans about the
time we started getting all of those pictures of Jesus being a blue
eyed blonde guy.

I will agree it has evolved into being anything but a time to express
Christian values