Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Baxter Bill Baxter is offline

Default commode flapper issue continues!!

On 12/21/2015 11:28 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/21/2015 9:27 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:
On 12/21/2015 05:31 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/21/2015 1:48 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:18:55 -0600, Muggles wrote:

My first and only idea is the area where your trying to get the seal is
slightly pitted somewhere, and won't seal because of where it's pitted.
Maybe it can be sanded down where the seal is supposed to be at? Is
that possible to do? Like someone would put a bondo on a car and sand
it down to smooth it out, put some material around the hole, let it
dry,
sand it down and then it might make a seal?

I actually thought about doing that, using some of that underwater stick
epoxy some time back when I was also considering a reseating gasket, but
I went with the Korky reseating kit that includes gasket and silicone.

Well, what I finally ended up doing I did today: I went with a
flapperless system:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=29001096

This was a tight fit in my older toilet, but I'm hopeful that it finally
solves the problem. Installation today and then leaving the water off
for 6 hours showed just a slight decrease in tank water, less than
anything else tried. It may be evaporation at this level. Not sure how
much escapes due to evaporation. I have a 10 gal fish tank and I
usually have to add like 1/2 gallon of water every couple of weeks due
to evaporation, so the small amount of drop I'm seeing now may just be
from that.

Only time will tell if the device holds up. I did add the hose clamp
securing it to the overflow tube, as customer reviews suggested, and I
was able to get the silicone seal it has quite tight up against the
existing seat. I could then start filling the tank just past this seal
to check for leaks and I didn't see any, so then pushed and turned the
top section into place. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed! X X

No good, the darn thing ends up causing more water loss than the
flapper, so I pulled it and taking it back to Home Depot!

One question before I comment further, can anyone tell me what a normal
amount of water evaporation would be from a 5 gallon tank over an 8 hour
period at room temperature? I'm seeing roughly 1/2" drop over 8 hours.

One last thing I'm going to do. A friend of mine has a plumber's/ auto
camera. It's a tiny waterproof camera at the end of a 16 foot cable.
I'm going to run this up though the commode and up into the flapper area
to see where the source of the dripping is occurring. This is a last
resort. Nothing else is working. If this doesn't reveal, once and for
all, where the leak is, nothing will. And if it's an actual crack in
the tank somewhere, time for a new commode but the problem is color
matching an old, pink Allianceware commode with the modern
equivalent.... not sure how I'd ever do that.