Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics
taxed and spent taxed and spent is offline

Default Does a capital ship sinking actually SUCK a swimmer down to drown?

"Poutnik" wrote in message
Dne 22/12/2015 v 17:19 Bob F napsal(a):
M. Stradbury wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:51:29 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Like toilet bowl water swirls.

A toilet bowl is too small to show the Coriolis effect, but a pool
isn't according to Sandlin and Muller.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/04/water.../#vRjaqfm0bSqs
"Derek Muller and Destin Sandlin, the minds behind the Veritasium and
Smarter Every Day YouTube channels, respectively, do show that water
(and even hurricanes or cycloness) preferentially spins
counter-clockwise in the north and clockwise in the south, you just
might not be able to see it with your toilet water."

I just flushed both my toilets. One went clockwise. The other went
counterclockwise. QED.

There are too strong forces, fast current speeds
and random turbulent processes
for Coriolis force to have any effect.

When I was in Ecuador, I did my own test. Quite a bit north of the equator,
I filled a wash basin with water and pulled the plug. The water swirled one
way.

AT the equator, I did the same thing, and the water just drained.

A bit south of the equator, I did the same thing, and there wasn't much of
interest.

Further south of the equator, I did the same thing, and the water swirled
the opposite way.

I eliminated water current, toilet bowl rim jet patterns, etc.

Q.E.D.