Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics
micky micky is offline

Default Does a capital ship sinking actually SUCK a swimmer down to drown?

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:18:34 +0100, Poutnik
wrote:

Dne 22/12/2015 v 02:56 Micky napsal(a):
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 00:04:23 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"
wrote:

Is it true (or an urban myth) that a swimmer would be sucked
under (presumably to drown) when a capital ship sinks?

I would think so. I was in a 6-man rubber raft that went over a
small falls and under water and though I wasn't tied to the raft, I
went under water too. How much more so with a big ship.

But it could be because of your motion dynamics,
as you inertially continue water under,
until your buoyancy gradually reverted your velocity.

True. I'm no longer convinced. (Even though I doubt mythbusters on
general principles). If one were right by the ship when it went
quickly down, one would fall into the hole it left, but the water it
pushed aside would be crashing back right after the ship passed also.
How deep the person would go is a question.

I think if you were standing on the deck, whether the deck was
horizontal or leaning, you could drop as fast as the ship did. Why
not? Until there was enough water surrouding you for buoyancy to
matter.

But if you were 3 inches from the ship, already floating in the water,
would you fall over like in a waterfall? I think so, but like I say,
you'd be competing with the water to see who and what dropped first.

One could experiement with little floating balls and big rocks dropped
close to them, or better yet, held close to them at surface level and
then released. A method for determining how deep they go would be
needed.

Anyhow my point originally was no swirling. I coudl have kept silent
on other stuff.