Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Does a capital ship sinking actually SUCK a swimmer down to drown?

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 21:46:01 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 19:18:02 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 8:03:04 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Micky wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 00:04:23 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"
wrote:

Is it true (or an urban myth) that a swimmer would be sucked
under (presumably to drown) when a capital ship sinks?

I would think so. I was in a 6-man rubber raft that went over a
small falls and under water and though I wasn't tied to the raft, I
went under water too. How much more so with a big ship.

Something about traveling and being on my own made me fearless however
and I confidently waited, with my eyes open iirc, until I popped up
again a few seconds later. Without the raft.

This was the Dranze River in France, just east of Geneva, Switzerland.

Basic fluid mechanics. You know that the swirl direction of opposite of
Southern hemisphere. CCW and CW. Rotating earth.

Hog wash about toilets...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihv4f7VMeJw

Didn't take physics in H.S. or college? Wondering.

I certainly took enough physics classes to know the direction of the
nozzles and shape of the bowl has more effect on the swirl than the
weak Coriolis effect

The notion that water behaves differently in northern and southern
hemisphere basins is a nice little earner for smart operators living
on the equator. In reality, the direction in which the water goes down
the plughole is determined by several factors, such as the shape of
the basin, and the way the water is moving before the plug is removed,
etc. The position of the equator has no effect at all. There are
manufacturers in equatorial countries who make basins in 3 shapes, one
for north of the equator, one for south and one for right on the
equator. The aforementioned smart operators buy these basins and set
them up at appropriate places, and charge gullible tourists to watch
the water going down the 3 plugholes in what they imagine to be a
geographically-determined way.

Andrew Dickens, Bexhill-on-Sea UK

(The funniest explanation I've seen.)
http://www.theguardian.com/notesandq...-20326,00.html