Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Does a capital ship sinking actually SUCK a swimmer down todrown?

Micky wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 00:04:23 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"
wrote:

Is it true (or an urban myth) that a swimmer would be sucked
under (presumably to drown) when a capital ship sinks?

I would think so. I was in a 6-man rubber raft that went over a
small falls and under water and though I wasn't tied to the raft, I
went under water too. How much more so with a big ship.

Something about traveling and being on my own made me fearless however
and I confidently waited, with my eyes open iirc, until I popped up
again a few seconds later. Without the raft.

This was the Dranze River in France, just east of Geneva, Switzerland.

Basic fluid mechanics. You know that the swirl direction of opposite of
Southern hemisphere. CCW and CW. Rotating earth.