Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is this normal?)

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 1:58:46 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 12/20/2015 05:49 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I was going to mention Butane but I thought, without researching it, that Propane had a lower boiling point. I recall reading something about refineries blending winter grade gasoline to have a higher vapor pressure so pollution standards could be met. I'm no chemist but I can use The Internet to find out.

I haven't seen E10 around here but the city mandates oxygenated gasoline
in the winter months to reduce pollution. That's achieved by adding 8%
ethanol from November 1 to March 1.

Diesel also has winter blends. #2 diesel starts to gel at 5 to 10
degrees F as the paraffin starts to crystallize. In very cold places
like North Dakota the truck stops will have straight #1 (kerosene), but
most places will have a blend of #1 and #2. There are also additives.
Those can be handy if you fuel in CA where there's no winter blend and
are headed north.

I'll have to look it up but I recall "MTBE ?" being used to oxygenate gasoline then it was found to be a carcinogen that was killing snails or something like that when it got into the environment. Everything we use for fuel is trying to kill us or damage the environment so I suppose we should only walk or ride bicycles. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Polluted Monster