Posted to sci.electronics.repair
M Philbrook M Philbrook is offline

Default Fluke 73III fluke repair

In article , says...

A couple years ago I bought a Fluke 73III at a yard sale for $20.
Such a deal, I thought. Everything seemed good for a short time,
then I noticed when the leads were reversed a dc voltage would measure
almost double, then the ohms reading was way off. I put the meter to the
side and used a different one. Yesterday I found a schematic so I
thought I'd look at it. Only found it because I was looking at
purchasing a 87V on ebay.
First thing, it didn't power up, I thought maybe I had removed the
battery.
I opened it, the battery is there, but I had trouble getting it to
disconnect from the snaps, so I took the board loose to have more room.
I then measured the voltage on the PCB, it was 5.5 volts, then I
measured at the battery 9.1 volts. hmm.
I ended up using diagonals cutters and prying the snap open to get the
battery out. There was some corrosion. I installed a new battery
connector and battery. All functions now work and are accurate, I have a
calibration unit and used it to check the meter every way I could.
I guess it was just a battery problem, but I never noticed a low
battery indication.
I'm happy.

Big Pat or a That Aboy!

Jamie