Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default wood flooring from Lowes

On 12/20/2015 1:32 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
eb.com...
Certainly, if the damaged area is near a border, that will work. However
the Pergo does NOT just push together. It locks by joining the pieces at
an angle (~30 degrees) and then pushing down. The only part that "pushes"
together are the end pieces. That said, to "uninstall" the floor to get
to a bad piece in the center requires that you remove everything from the
baseboard into that position (let's say 8' in) and from one end of the
room to the other since it all locks together and the joints are staggered
by 16" to 20" or so.

If somebody accidentally dropped a spinning router in the center of my
living room, I'd damn sure attempt to cut out the section before taking up
the entire floor, numbering everything to reinstall it, etc.

If the "cut and paste" routine that Don and I have offered doesn't work,
removal/replacement of the entire floor remains an option. I suspect,
trader, if you actually installed a Pergo or similar floor system, you'd
agree.

The flooring I am asking about is the kind that floats and not nailed or
glued down. It just sort of snaps together. While I guess that it would be
possiable to start at the edge and remove a lot of flooring which may take
all day or more for one person, there must be a simple way to remove one
board and replacce it with another. I see how getting out one board may not
be much of a problem, but getting another board in would be.

There is no patern to match. This floor just looks like a hard wood floor
with a random patern. When looking at over $ 1000 a replacement is not
really an option for me if only one or two boards get messed up.

Getting the old one out may not be much of a problem, but getting a new
piece in is the question. From what I am reading, I guess that I would need
to cut out some of the edges which sort of equates to the tounge and grouve
in the real hard wood flooring and then glue in the new piece.

No, Ralph not really. Go back and re-read both Don's and my original
follow what we suggest, at worst you MIGHT have to put just a dab or two
of silicone sealer beneath one corner or edge where you no longer have a
complete tongue and groove (you have to remove the BOTTOM edge of the
groove to fit the replacement back in) so that it doesn't lift up.