Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default How hot do 45A isolators run under full sustained load?

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:10:46 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

(Spun off from Chris' thread).

Just noticed my water heater isolator (about 45A load) gets rather warm
after 15-30 mins of operation.

Tightened the terminals - but it seems to be the switch element - the
toggle base gets to perhaps 40-50C by feel. Never noticed before because
I'd never really gone around feeling shower/water isolators under high
sustained loads!

Personally I'd expect a simple switch to be stone cold even under
permanent full load.

Is this reasonable - or time to replace? It's a GET plate - only 6 years
old.

My parents' one gets hot. It's a 15A switch running a 3kW immersion heater. the front plate (plastic) gets to about 40C. When I looked inside there was nothing loose or otherwise untoward, so I bought a brand new decent (MK?) one. It got equally warm, so we decided to just ignore it.

--
Why does the law society prohibit sex between lawyers and their clients?
To prevent clients from being billed twice for essentially the same service.