Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default wood flooring from Lowes

On 12/19/2015 12:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message How hard would it be to take
out and replace a piece or two after it had been installed if it gets
a bad sctatch or something ? They left about half a box of the stuff
that was installed in the hall. I don't need to now, but just
wondering.

I, too, wonder about that Ralph. I have a little less than one package
squirreled away against that eventuality. What I would/will do is take
a small panel circular saw with depth set appropriately and cut the offending
section out by cutting about 3/8" from the joints all the way around. Final
cuts will be with a sharp chisel or multi-tool so as not to disturb/harm the
balance of the floor. Once I get it cleared, I'll remove the bottom of the
grooves on the two adjoining edges and slip the replacement piece into place.
Likely, it will not look perfect but I suspect that it will be one of those "to
see it you have to know it's there and be looking really hard for it."g

It depends on the effort you want to expend and the tools you have
available. If you take pains to cut the original piece out leaving
"a bit of meat" along the edges with the tongues, you can run the
piece through a planer (or, just buy some identical thickness shim stock)
and insert this into the grooves of the "still installed" adjacent
pieces. I.e., make the opening into which your replacement will
fit be "all tongues" (or, 3 tongues) and your replacement piece
"all rabbets".

A bit of thinking before cutting usually pays off. There are very few
"do overs" in this sort of endeavor! :