Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Long distance furniture move advice, please

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 13:18:33 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 18 Dec 2015, (Scott Lurndal) wrote in
alt.home.repair:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less_t...kload_shipping

Ah, so there's an actual name for the type of shipment I was thinking
of, "LTL shipping"! That gives me a handle on what to look for. The
article points out that the item will change hands and be moved many
times along the way, which means it needs to be packed very well to
avoid damage.

When my mother moved from Indiana to Pa., about 45 years ago, there
was a truckers strike and for some reason striking turns a few people
into criminals. They were actually shooting at trucks on highways of
Pa. So the commercial van line unloaded her furniture in Youngstown,
stored it, at their expense, but didn't reload until the shooting was
over. I guess she stayed in a motel for a week or so, almost surely
at her own expense. There was some damage to the furniture, probably
twice as much as there would have been.