Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 11:18:03 AM UTC-5, Wond wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:55:44 -0800, jurb6006 wrote:

MAKE NO PROMISES.

Ever.

Reminds me of that fellow, Ainit da Troot

Yup, those words to not emit from my mouth or keyboard.

I have learned how to manage this planet. I also do not get ****ed off unless it is really severe provocation. Aggravation is not a choice but anger is. If I kick you in the balls, whether you get ****ed off or not you want to kick my ass. If you are not ****ed off you want to do it to make the world a better place, which is the same reason I will shoot to kill if someone tries to rob me. But if a baby steps on your balls with those ****ing cement baby shoes (no wonder they can't walk) you are not angry. If you can avoid anger in physical pain like that you got no excuse any other time. (I should probably teach an anger management class huh)

I try to do what I say I am gong to do, but II always allow for Murphy's Law. If I say I'll be there at noon I will plan to be there by eleven. Actually I say "I'll be there BY...", not "at".

When you learn electronics, especially service, you pick up a frew things.

My last good job, I go to boss and say I know what is wrong and we got the part. That is all I said, but that stupid **** would schedule delivery for later that day. Sometimes I felt like cutting his goddam fingers off so he couldn't dial the phone. But see, if something went wrong he was the one to explain it to the customer. Fine with me.

And if they ****ed me off I could look at the clock for a couple of minutes and see one more dollar in my pocket. Wanna say something about it I could go to the bathroom.

Got them by the balls, and after a little while they know it. In a way I was the boss. Order some of these, and we need this and that, and get this **** the **** out of my way before I shoot it or take an axe to it. Some places, they asked ME what I wanted for lunch and they would go get it.

Well I gotta admit there is a reason for that lol.

Rich, a coworker, became a friend. I lived 25 miles from the shop and he lived twice as far. I rode with him to and from work for quite a while. then we sat at my house for a bit and got smoked a bit. We almost died together.

He had this Ford Escort and we were on I-90 in the fast lane, which is the correct lane because the exit to my house was on the left. A semi changed lanes and we were underneath it right along the dividing wall. An extremely stressful situation. He drove expertly and matched speed and piloted the thing perfectly, with the horn blaring all the time. Eventually the semi got out of the fast lane and I said "Get us to the nearest bar". He agreed.

Anyway, we got tight and one day we decided, since we were both "Electrasound graduates" where you DID go out for lunch, that we were going to the Ground Round for lunch.

The boss said "Don't go, you guys won't come back". We went, had surf n turf and a few beers and Rich says "I don't like how he was saying we won't come back". I said "Yeah". And then that lightbulb (a dim one) lit up and one of us said "Know what we should do ?". you know what happened then.

So we sat there for about an hour drinking and then decided to call the shop. Told the boss we need money because we cannot pay the tab ! That was a lie but **** it. Told him we need someone to bring down about $50. The boss said "I can't leave, I am the only one here".

I have had some really bad times in life, and I have had some really good times in life. In some jobs, the employee is really the boss.

Like construction. Brick layers smoke pot and therefore cannot pass a drug test. Know what the union does here ? They hire one guy who does not smoke it and whether or not he can lay brick, he takes all the drug tests for everybody.

These brickies make around $30 an hour plus super benefits, and that is because they do something that not all that many people can do, at least at their level of performance. They are the boss. As a matter of fact, you offer most of them the foreman position they will refuse. My Father was a pretty damn good job shop machinist (worked with the engineers on the prototype for the first floppy disk making machine) and was offered management positions more than once. He said no, in fact he said **** no. the reason ? Everyone bitches at you. you got the suits wanting **** that can't be done and employees you have a hard time getting to do what can be done. Middle management is not a good place all the time. And back then the labor market was such that you could not get 100 people to suck donkey dick for two bucks an hour. We had real industry and skilled people were important to the economy.

Things were different then. Now, money is made on paper. They even have paper gold. The world is junk.

One more good reason and I am ready to leave it. Honest Men with real skills have no place in this country anymore.