Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default How hot do 45A isolators run under full sustained load?

On Saturday, 19 December 2015 12:18:37 UTC, Chris French wrote:
harry Wrote in message:
On Friday, 18 December 2015 19:10:54 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
(Spun off from Chris' thread).

Just noticed my water heater isolator (about 45A load) gets rather warm
after 15-30 mins of operation.

Tightened the terminals - but it seems to be the switch element - the
toggle base gets to perhaps 40-50C by feel. Never noticed before because
I'd never really gone around feeling shower/water isolators under high
sustained loads!

Personally I'd expect a simple switch to be stone cold even under
permanent full load.

Is this reasonable - or time to replace? It's a GET plate - only 6 years
old.

Cheers,

Tim

If the terminals are tight, change the switch.
The contacts must be burnt/defective
A shower is only run for a few minutes, there's no way it should get even warm.

it's not a shower, it's a water heater.

That's some water heater that needs 45A
10Kw?