Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default wood flooring from Lowes

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 1:54:20 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
Just for the record, AFAIK, Pergo is a laminate material where they
essentially
print an image of wood on a plastic surface. Tt's not real wood, nor does
it
have a wood top layer, like engineer wood products do. Not saying I
wouldn't
use it, depending on the application, but it is what it is.

... something else to consider are pets. Dogs can really scratch up
less expensive flooring.

There are no pets, just my wife and I , both around 65 and 70.

What I think I would really like to have is some that does have a small
layer of real wood on top. Really would like to have some that I have heard
of years ago that was thick enough it could be refinished one time if there
were no deep scratches in it, but the people at Lowes did not know anything
about this kind of flooring.

Then whoever you talked to at Lowes doesn't know what they are doing.
Lowes, HD, etc all carry that product. It's called engineered wood
flooring. And like you say, it can typically be refinished one or more
times if need be. Another advantage is that they put the finish on it
in a factory environment and I think you get a tougher, better finish
than if you finish a conventional wood floor after installation. The
engineered substrate is also supposed to perform at least as good or
better that solid wood with regard to moisture, etc.