Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

wrote in message ...
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Anyone care to share their experience on the correct approach to
troubleshooting?

Maybe I've been hanging out around too many manager or business types,
but I'd suggest:

Find out if a working new (or used) example of the item in question
is available, and what it costs.

Under a certain amount, it won't pay to spend time fixing it, unless
there are some other circumstances involved. (It was grandma's radio,
or whatever.)

That is the way I have looked at lots of things. The repair parts often
cost more than the origional item. At work there was a motor and gear box
of around 1/2 HP. To get a new motor or gear box actually cost within $ 5
of a whole new motor and gearbox. Then the company would have to pay the
mechanic over $ 40 an hour to rebuild the unit as they were always replaced
as a unit.