Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Just bought house with 1,000 gallon propane tank (is this normal?)

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 09:27:28 -0500, "Donald T. Rump"
wrote:

On 12/18/2015 04:30 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 04:47:58 -0000 (UTC), "M. Stradbury"
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 18:24:09 -0600, Paintedcow wrote:

If the tank does go empty, DONT TELL THEM THAT AT THE OFFICE.
The same guy always fills my tank, and he told me that if I dont tell
them, he's not going to report me, or charge me for an inspection.

What's the danger if the tank goes empty anyway?

Absolutely nothing. It's a way they can screw an extra $50 or more from
a customer. If the gas was shut off for years, I could sort of
understand it, because stuff can rust and corrode. But if I run out of
gas on Monday and call them on Tuesday, there is no excuse or need to
inspect. Yet, if I tell them at the office I ran out, they will do their
useless inspection and charge me $50.

Absolutely wrong!

If the tank and lines are filled with air, there is a small risk of explosion.
Reputable suppliers use (tank and line) purge procedures when the tank has gone empty.

They did that when I first bought my tank.
But just having the furnace running my tank out of gas because I did not
fill the tank, dont let air in. There's still a little gas, but not
enough pressure to keep the pilot going.