Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Whole House Humidifier - Disconnected Water Line?

Frank wrote:
On 12/17/2015 9:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/17/2015 9:06 AM, Frank wrote:
I had put one of these dehumidifiers in my first house and it was a mess
and a mess to clean. There was no water over flow and after a month or
so, I'd have to remove the pad to clean out the calcium deposit with

. vinegar.

Now my Aprilaire 560 has no moving parts but drips water over a honey
comb, ceramic coated aluminum pad to evaporate in the furnace air. Pad
is rinsed by excess water and would probably last a few years but I
change it every year. Water drains into my French drain which can
handle it and in the Summer condensate from AC goes into same drain.
Never a problem.

Thread just got me to check it and it is working fine. It's as old as
the house, ~40 years.

Sounds like a totally successful dehumidifier.

Except, that it isn't. Oops.

===============================
When I did HVAC installs, my boss used to really
love the flow through humidifiers. Wasted a little
water, but much lower maintenance.

I don't think it uses much water. It only goes on when the furnace is
on and it is only a trickle. My French drain has no sump pump and is
only wet for a few feet beyond the exit. Besides, with a well, I don't
pay for water.

Years ago Sears used to sell furnace humidifier like that. Hobart brand.
It stayed always clean. Now with Aprilaire 600 I used to dunk the pad in
CLR but I got lazy. I just throw old pad out and put in a new one.